Since 2004, the department of Meuse has been involved in producing the general cultural heritage register for its area, as part of a multi-annual agreement with the Lorraine region. The choice of study areas and themes to focus these operations on was made by mutual agreement between the Meuse department and the Lorraine region. The last few years have seen the culmination of several projects.
The Ligier Richier trail
The Meuse department has created a pilgrimage along the roads of Meuse taking in the works of the famous Renaissance sculptor, whose creative genius has earned him comparisons with Michelangelo. From the St Etienne Church in Bar-le-Duc, where you can admire the famous Transi, the road continues to Clermont-en-Argonne, Etain, Génicourt-sur-Meuse, Hattonchâtel and lastly St Mihiel, where the artist was born, and which retains two of his most impressive pieces of work: The Swoon of the Virgin in the parish church of St Mihiel and the Sepulchre and Burial in St Etienne Church
THE LIGIER RICHIER TRAIL
St Mihiel discovery trail
In 2013, efforts by the heritage register team focused on the heritage of St Mihiel, creating a waymarked route with 16 glazed sandstone panels bearing flashcodes. These information points retraced the flourishing artistic and spiritual past of the “petite Florence Lorraine”, the homeland of Ligier Rigier, the famous Renaissance sculptor
The commemorations to mark the First World War Centenary
As part of the commemorations to mark the First World War Centenary, a campaign to digitise the photographic library of the Regional register department for the commemorative heritage 1914-1918 in Meuse (war memorials, remembrance memorials, etc.) was put in place.
The Reconstruction: in the footsteps of the Donzellis in Meuse
In 2016, as part of the Great War Centenary commemorations, the spotlight fell on the works of Duilio Donzelli in Meuse. This artist, both a painter and a sculptor, who trained in Italy, moved to Meuse in 1924. Until 1939, he worked on various reconstruction projects in the wake of the damage caused by the First World War. He is also responsible for a vast series of Italian-style murals in around thirty churches in Meuse.
Expositions en prêt
Le service de la conservation et de la valorisation du patrimoine et des musées de la Meuse propose en prêt des expositions dossiers pour promouvoir le patrimoine meusien.
- De Jeanne Bécu à la Comtesse Du Barry (1743-1793)
- Jean ERRARD (1554-1610), ingénieur du Roy
- Nasium, ville des Leuques, de la ville gauloise à la ville gallo-romaine
EN SAVOIR PLUS